Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"After": Organized Pantry, No more black shelf



This past weekend, I accomplished a number of kitchen related "cures":
  • I stocked and organized my pantry, transferring all my food items from the open shelves in my kitchen to the pantry shelves. I grouped food items by grains & cereals, legumes, canned foods, vinegars & oils, and baking-related supplies. I also dedicated a shelf to glass containers (for re-use) and another for cookware. I'm sure I'll re-organize this over time, but it's nice to have a well-stocked kitchen and see all my food in one place!
  • I sorted my recyclables (which I'd been collecting all month, since I didn't know where my recycling bin was or when pick-up was!) Since I only have one bin, and need to separate glass/plastic/aluminum from paper, I will have to take out one or the other each week until I can pick up a second bin from the county. I'm impressed that Orange County has free curbside-recycling!
  • I hung a picture and moved my makeshift "table" to the wall where the black shelving unit was. Eventually, that might make a nice wall for a kitchen cart, which would provide more counter-space than I current have. For now, it also serves as the meal central for the Kiddos™.
  • Finally, it may seem like a small thing, but I printed out the oatmeal poprocks mosaic and pinned to the wall behind the oven. The colors make me really happy, and I'm still trying to consider the best way to incorporate this palette into my home.

2 comments:

  1. Well, DUH! I kept checking the "bookmark" icon I had made on my menu bar for your blog but saw no posts beyond one in early October. Today, following your link, I realized that my bookmark was linked to that single POST and not the blogsite itself. Good grief! Now...my comments. I am impressed with your organization. Good job. I like your idea of using the business logos. We have curbside recycling here, but are not required to separate the glass/plastic/paper...do you know for a fact that you must? Have you contacted the recycling business to see if they will drop an extra bin at your address? I am glad to hear that you removed the black shelving. That piece of wall just screamed for another purpose. And I think your color palette has been incorportated quite nicely. Is there a color that is NOT in that palette? haha xoxAuntCxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt C! You could also "Follow" this blog, and have updates show up on your dashboard. I looked up the recycling rules, and yes, I do need to separate paper from glass/alu/plastic. They might deliver the bin, but I haven't called to check yet.

    As for my color palette, I'm still consider WALL colors... for the kitchen, i'm starting to settle on pale ginger.

    ReplyDelete