Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cleaning out my files

In addition to cleaning up my kitchen this past week, I spent some time organizing and updating my files, which I keep in a hanging file under my desk. For as long as I can remember I keep my files ordered by:
  1. Bank accounts
  2. Credit Cards
  3. Social Security
  4. Monthly bills
  5. Insurance
  6. Lease (and now Mortgage) Information
  7. Student Loans
  8. Current year receipts (i don't really keep these anymore, I take photos of the important ones and save them to Evernote)
  9. Retirement accounts
  10. Investments
  11. Tax Returns
In another rack, I keep my (non-financial) health and education records. Something else that I love doing is using the company's logo or letterhead for labeling each hanging file. I figure these corporations spend millions on creating memorable images, so I will take advantage of their brand recognition; thus, saving myself the valuable time of reading each label.

No comments:

Post a Comment