Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wish List

Tomorrow marks the two weeks anniversary of closing, and I've spent most of that time moving and laying low. More pictures will be forthcoming, so you can admire the hard work and devotion of my BFF, who spent a week with me unpacking and organizing. Meanwhile, in case Old St. Nick is making a list and checking it twice, I've put together my own list of items to improve my home's functionality:
  1. Dust buster - especially for cleaning up litter, tracked or spilled by the kiddos;
  2. Breadmaker - i've never really used one of these before, and if I have a roommate who makes bread, this might be superfluous (or maybe even sacrilegious!) but for now it goes on the list;
  3. Microwave - never thought I'd want or need one, but as someone who often eats on the run, I'm willing to sacrifice aesthetics for nourishment. Anyone have recommendations for small, efficient, and unobtrusive-looking microwaves?
  4. Water filter - my faucet PUR water filter has sprung an irreparable leak and the water around here is terrible to taste. 
  5. Potato brush - i found potato-washing gloves the other day, but both the gloves and the brush are unnecessary novelties..
  6. Trash can - hanging plastic grocery sacks from doorknobs is a bit unsightly. :)
  7. Salt & pepper grinder - thanks to Sarah, I now have the most *adorable* salt and pepper shakers; but i'd like bona fide grinders for peppercorns and kosher salt.
  8. Screw-pull - mine broke and I cannot justify the $50 or so to replace it. But they're so niice.
  9. Silverware divider - come to think of it: i still need silverware! But the drawer is very narrow, so a standard sized divider will never do.
  10. Toaster - i don't think i've ever owned one, and yet I don't think I've ever lived without one. I miss having a toaster almost daily.
  11. Broom
  12. Mop - yep, need one.
  13. Desk chair - i'm using an IKEA dining room chair at the moment. It's neither ergonomic nor comfortable. I figure this will be my next big investment since I expect I'll be spending lots of time sitting in it. Update: For the time being, I'm using my yoga ball. At some point, my workspace needs a complete overhaul for better health and posture. Update #2: I reappropriated a desk chair from my cube at school. Turned out to be the perfect color, perfect size, and has rollers appropriate for hardwood floors!
  14. Ice cube trays. That is all.
  15. 11-inch slotted spatula. I'm not really sure why this made the list, but it seems like one of those kitchen essentials that I don't have.
  16. Coat rack - I have two hooks for hanging coats and hats just inside the door, but a coat rack woudl be a welcomed addition or maybe just a hat rack ( I have a lot of hats.)
  17. Box grater - because sometimes a flat grater isn't enough
  18. Jelly-roll pans (with 1-in sides) - actually, any pans for baking; otherwise, there can be no pie, bread, casserole or otherwise.
  19. Clock - Pictures forth coming, but Sarah hooked me up with the hippest wall clock this side of the Mason-Dixon. Courtesy Urban Outfitters.
  20. Kitchen scissors - yep yep. Need 'em. Nothing more to say.
  21. Knife guards: Two 8" Chef's knife guards; One 4"paring knife guard; - I've wanted these for a while, in order to store my chef's knives safely in the drawer. However, I've had trouble finding non-clunky looking guards at stores (Here they are! http://www.broadwaypanhandler.com/broadway/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Wusthof+Knife-Life+Edge+Guards&pf_id=wusthof_knifelife_edgeguards&dept_id=2430)
  22. Cookbook holder
  23. One and/or Two-quart saucepan(s): Preferably stainless steel with copper core. I really like Meyer Bella Cuisine cookware (http://www.meyercanada.ca/MeyerCanadaProductSpecifications.asp?Pid=1), and use the 3-qt saucepan, despite having caught it on fire once (yeah, not so shiny anymore...)
  24. Maple lid racks: Medium-sized for lids, and tall for trays.
  25. Two-piece sponge tray: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/sinkArea/sinkAreaOrganizers?productId=10005749
  26. (NEW 11/4/09): Popcorn hot air popper!!
  27. (NEW 11/4/09): Toilet brush
Okay, I realize that my list focuses primarily on the kitchen, but aside from my desk and my bed, that's where I spend most my time. Yay for stuff!

1 comment:

  1. has Old St. Nick determined who is naughty and who is nice? is he subject to blackmail or extortion? not that this will be necessary here...you deserve it all!

    xoxo,
    mr. somas

    ReplyDelete