Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bedroom Ideas

I'm getting close to the final move, and by planning to locate my workspace on the first floor, I'm starting to realize how empty my bedroom seems. What on earth will I do with all this new found space?

The window faces south. The photos show the previous occupant's furnishings. As you can see, I underestimated the window size and placement in my schematic, since the photo shows a twin-sized bed fitting snugly between window and wall. Thus, I will probably rotate my bed to the western wall, or place it at a 45 degree angle, in order to place the bed-stands on either side.

Also, I intend to put a dresser or bench of some sort under the window, which will likely become Cricket & Oliver's favorite snoozing spot. Other ideas?






2 comments:

  1. Well, if you have a queen, or a double-sized bed, you could probably put it right under the window, with the bench on the side, opposite the closets (?). It would take up some space, but it would allow you to put tables on either side, and also move around the bed (good for when you're changing sheets :). It would, ultimately, probably take up less room than if you put the bed at a 45 degree angle. But that's up to you. You can also try out different things to see what works. I have my bed in a similar arrangement (in the middle of the room, perpendicular to wall), and I like it. It forces me to keep the room for sleeping, while other areas of the house are for work, etc. :) But I love playing around with furniture arrangements in the living room! Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a double-sized bed, and I think i will put the head against the Western wall rather than under the window. In feng shui, it is best not to have a window or door immediately behind your bed, as it weakens your position and can disrupt your sleep. But i agree that it's nice to be able to access the bed from all directions.

    I also concur that the bedroom is best for rest and relaxation. Just two more days and I can start posting pics!

    ReplyDelete